Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chinese Garden Stools

Emily Henderson, the winner of HGTV's Design Star and also the witty brains behind the blog - stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog has taught me a thing or two about designing spaces.



The one thing she swears by that I will live by when decorating any space; living room, bedroom, family rooms, is this:


In case you don't know my feeling on legs, you should try to have at least one piece of furniture that doesn't have four legs, whether its a really low sofa, or a skirted sofa or chair or in this case a coffee table, it helps the whole space look more grounded and substantial. I forget who said it, somebody from house beautiful, but a designer said that a room with too many legs looks 'nervous' and I totally agree.



Which is why I have devoted this post to Chinese Garden Stools to help any space look less 'nervous.'



Today Chinese Garden stools are used as a popular decorating accessory, but were once shaped from tree stumps/rocks in Chinese gardens. They come in metallics, pastels, woods, and my personal favorite - chinese touile. Wisteria is a great source.



The uses for Garden Stools are limitless; coffee tables, end tables in living rooms/bedrooms; use in your shower, for an outdoor patio, office space, nursery room - they are both functional and add that perfect splash of color.


Now, the question lies, where would you place yours? I'm thinking my blue chaise needs a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment